NYX Cosmetics just recently opened two stand-alone stores in Canada; one at Square One Shopping Mall and the other at Queen St. W.! Yay!
I’m a professional MUA and the Los Angeles-based brand had been in my kit for some time now. They’re well known for having professional quality products at drugstore prices, with lippies starting at $8 and foundations starting at $11.
I especially like the fact that they cater to women of all shades; with highly pigmented and bold colours, which is super important to a chocolate Bella like me. And did I mention that they’re cruelty-free?
While their products have been available in Canada for some time (in the cosmetics section of a Rexall Pharmacy near you), the stand-alone stores bring it to another level with a dope atmosphere and an enormous assortment or products never before seen north of the border.The store gives a shout out to Toronto, with their #NYXintheSIX signs throughout, and also gives a nod to a number of Youtube and Instagram stars, such as, Makeup by Shayla (pictured above) and, Toronto talent, Ms. Rosh Posh (see video below), who have helped to popularize the brand with makeup mavens worldwide. Be sure to check them out next time you’re on Queen St. W. #InTheSix!
It’s officially cuffing season and the last thing that you need is for chapped lips to get between you and some wintertime smooching. The colder, drier temperatures can wreak havoc on your skin and especially on your lips. Here are some tips on how to keep your lips luscious all winter long!
- Stay hydrated – To keep moisturized you gotta start from the inside and work your way out. Remember to drink several glasses of water every day. Amongst the other many health benefits, drinking water keeps your lips, skin and hair hydrated and your lips looking plum. You might also want to pull out the old humidifier if your house is dry.
- Use a moisturizing cleanser – This really applies to all-over cleansing products during the winter. These products won’t strip away the moisture that you already have and retaining moisture is key. A great cleanser to try is the Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser by Neutrogena.
- Exfoliate – Exfoliating is a great way to get your circulation going and to remove the dry flakes to reveal newer softer skin. You can exfoliate by using a damp cloth, a toothbrush or a lip scrub. I like to use an exfoliant from Fresh called, Sugar Lip Polish. It’s exfoliates and conditions your lips making them baby soft.
- Use lip balm – During the winter you have to make sure that there is always a barrier between your lips and the elements. There are a number of excellent lip balms on the market. Burt’s Bees has some great options, such as my personal fav, the Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter. It puts the moisture back in your lips and smells delish!
- Stop licking you lips! – Yes this is really my last and final tip. The enzymes in your saliva can be extremely drying and I’m sure you wouldn’t reverse all the hard work you just put in… So i guess that means no licking….
Smooching is definitely still allowed though! 😉