For years I contemplated keeping a gratitude journal. A gratitude journal is a way to make sure that I take the time to acknowledge and appreciate all of the little glimmers of light that I encounter each and every day.
My girl Oprah was the first to tell me about it… Yes I said “my girl” Oprah… Doesn’t everyone believe they have a personal relationship with the big O? Anyhow, according to Oprah, if you are:
“… thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.”
The older I get, the more I recognize that I have so much to be thankful for; an amazing family, lifelong friends and even when I’m going through the storm, I can still be thankful for the the smile of a stranger or the smell of the peonies. That’s what I want to concentrate on; however, the key is to be consistent. So after much over-consideration , I decided to finally start my journal. And I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they got an app for that! Because life can get so busy, the Gratitude Journal 365 is ideal for me; it’s really simple and it’s super easy to record and reflect on my day. When you really think about it, should we be waiting around for the next birthday or big holiday to celebrate and to appreciate what we have? Rather, I think we should be thankful and celebrate everyday! So who’s going to join me?
It’s officially cuffing season and the last thing that you need is for chapped lips to get between you and some wintertime smooching. The colder, drier temperatures can wreak havoc on your skin and especially on your lips. Here are some tips on how to keep your lips luscious all winter long!
- Stay hydrated – To keep moisturized you gotta start from the inside and work your way out. Remember to drink several glasses of water every day. Amongst the other many health benefits, drinking water keeps your lips, skin and hair hydrated and your lips looking plum. You might also want to pull out the old humidifier if your house is dry.
- Use a moisturizing cleanser – This really applies to all-over cleansing products during the winter. These products won’t strip away the moisture that you already have and retaining moisture is key. A great cleanser to try is the Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser by Neutrogena.
- Exfoliate – Exfoliating is a great way to get your circulation going and to remove the dry flakes to reveal newer softer skin. You can exfoliate by using a damp cloth, a toothbrush or a lip scrub. I like to use an exfoliant from Fresh called, Sugar Lip Polish. It’s exfoliates and conditions your lips making them baby soft.
- Use lip balm – During the winter you have to make sure that there is always a barrier between your lips and the elements. There are a number of excellent lip balms on the market. Burt’s Bees has some great options, such as my personal fav, the Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter. It puts the moisture back in your lips and smells delish!
- Stop licking you lips! – Yes this is really my last and final tip. The enzymes in your saliva can be extremely drying and I’m sure you wouldn’t reverse all the hard work you just put in… So i guess that means no licking….
Smooching is definitely still allowed though! 😉
I finally made it to Paris and quickly discovered that it’s everything that I thought it would be and more!
The Sweetest Thing
If you know me at all, then you know that I love pastries; cupcakes, cakes, cookies, croissants… well you get the gist. Going to Paris was like dying and waking up in pastry heaven! My first taste of a Parisian macaroon had me really questioning if I’ve ever had a macaroon before. They’ve really mastered the art of pastry; the perfect combination of flavour with just the right amount of sweet…but not too sweet. Any visit to Paris would not be complete without a stop at Laduree Paris!
Paris is often referred to as the City of Love and it’s not hard to see why. It provides one romantic setting after another. Whether you’re walking along the Seine River, dining at a cafe, visiting the Eiffel tower or just listening to a Frenchman as he gives you directions to the subway. Everything about Paris just oozes romance.
Art is Life
Everyone has at least one thing that they’ve always wanted to do but keep putting off. It could be because life happens and you can’t seem to find the time, you have an underlying fear of failure or simply because it’s not Monday (The only day of the week that you could possibly start something new ;-). Well I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I actually have several items on my todo list and, with the start of this blog, I’m happily checking off one. Hopefully you’ll be inspired to check off one of yours.
Welcome to Forever Kiwi!